MENU

Caloocan City is the third largest implementor of Special Program for Employment of Students (SPES) in NCR this season with 1500 beneficiaries, the Caloocan City Labor and Industrial Relations Office and Public Employment Services Office (LIRO-PESO) reported.

SPES is the government’s initiative for the poor but deserving student,s to pursue their education and financially assist their family by providing them with temporary employment.
The students are deployed in different departments of the City Government and National Government Agencies within the City for 20 days, to assist in the clerical works and office procedures of the departments.

 

The first batch, who are mainly SPES babies (former SPES beneficiaries), have been rendering jobs since April, and the second batch, who are newly hired SPES applicants, will start on May 2016.

Under the SPES, the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) shoulders 40 percent of the salaries of beneficiaries, while the local government units pay the other 60 percent.

Caloocan City Mayor Oscar Malapitan directed the LIRO-PESO to prioritize and enhance the SPES program, along with other employment and livelihood programs being implemented by the City Government.

Mayor Malapitan believes that SPES does not only provide income to financially constrained students but, most importantly, develop their intellectual and practical capacities through field exposure and actual job experience.